Monday, May 10, 2010

Independence Day - First Post

I have been inspired by all of the wonderful bloggers who participate in the Independence Day Challenge.  So here goes my initial post:

1. Plant Something – Continued adding plants to the garden. It is about 80% planted.


2. Harvest Something – Picked 3 gallons of strawberries from a local farm.

3. Preserve Something – Gave one gallon of the strawberries to my parents. Hulled and froze 1.5 gallons in a single layer on cookie sheets. Then put them in 3 one gallon bags in our new, old freezer. Will plan to make jam out of them in the fall when apples are ready for picking.

4. Waste Not – Composted kitchen scraps. Continued to collect leftover coffee grounds from pots at work.

5. Want Not – I have been borrowing my favorite books from the library, but I have renewed them the maximum number of times. So, I purchased Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day (new), Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (new) and The Victory Garden: The Essential Companion (used) from Amazon with a gift card from my awesome family (Dh, Dd15, Ds21 and Dd24) for Mother’s Day.

6. Eat the Food – Enjoyed .5 gallon fresh strawberries. Used apple rings that we picked, dehydrated and froze last fall to make a Fresh Apple Cake. 

That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  Now, I'd better get moving on week#2!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post. It made me proud of what I'm already attempting and have in progress and humbled by the fact that I need to do MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh SPP- Your latest post brought a tear to my eye! Your usual flair came through, so I am sure many more will be encouraged to join in the challenge. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete